HMP Hewell and MK College receive ‘Highly Commended’ award at the National Recycling Awards
HMP Hewell’s Waste Management Partnership Academy Team received a ‘Highly Commended’ award at the National Recycling Awards on Thursday 28 June 2018.
A celebration of the great and good in relation to waste and recycling, Darryl Jones, Education and Skill Reform Implementation Team, presented his nomination to a panel of judges and was questioned on aspects of the partnership.
HMP Hewell and MK College were shortlisted for the ‘Partnership Excellence – Public/Private Sector’ category, which was as follows:
- Bank of England / De La Rue / Yes Recycling
- Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council / FCC Environment / Cycle Penistone C.I.C
- BDR Waste Partnership / Renewi / SSE / BDR Community Liaison Group
- Bracknell Forest / Reading and Wokingham Borough Councils / FCC Environment
- Camden Council / Local Green Points
- ERP / Resource Efficiency Wales / Caerphilly CBC / Merthyr Tydfil CBC / Blaenau Gwent CBC / Powys CC / Heavenly Recordings
- HMP Hewell / Milton Keynes College
- Somerset Council / XMA / Concept Management Consulting
- University of Cambridge / Greater Cambridge Shared Waste Service
- West London Waste Authority / SUEZ recycling and recovery UK
Based in an open and closed prison housing 1,300 prisoners, the team defines waste management strategies to educate and empower staff and prisoners within the prison, working collaboratively with other prisons to encourage and share best practice.
Waste management and recycling is integral to not only reducing our carbon footprint, but to introducing cost effective sustainable waste management practices across a large multi-site operation, emphasising reducing reoffending for prisoners.
Darryl Jones said: “I cannot say how happy we were to be awarded a ‘Highly Commended’ award. I did not expect anything like that especially with all the other wonderful partnerships shortlisted in this category. To even get shortlisted was a great achievement for us all.
“Staff in offender learning, skills and work often don't get the recognition that they deserve, in particular working with people who, in many cases, formal education and society have let down. This is excellent recognition for a most dedicated, hard working team of staff at HMP Hewell and MKC who very often turn the lives of those deemed 'disengaged' and 'disaffected' into law abiding citizens.”
Congratulations to everyone involved on receiving your much-deserved award.